Breakfast is by all means very important for a good start of the day and we are strongly agree with this. In our house porridge is one of the favourite morning choices. As much as we enjoy big, more ‘complex’ breakfast/brunch for the weekends, during the week we like something quick and simple, but at the same time nourishing to fuel the body with energy for the rest of the day.
This grains and seeds porridge mix is much ‘lighter’ than a traditional porridge made just from oats. Also, the blend of different grains and seeds makes it more interesting in texture and taste. It is super quick and easy to prepare, I always make a big jar and store it in a kitchen cupboard. Quinoa and buckwheat flakes are gluten-free, and to make it fully gluten-free replace barley flakes and oats with gluten-free oats or increase the amount of quinoa and buckwheat flakes.
Grains & Seeds Porridge
- GRAINS & SEEDS PORRIDGE TO STORE:
- 125g / 1/2 cup barley flakes
- 125g / 1/2 cup buckwheat flakes
- 125g / 1/2 cup jumbo oats or normal oats
- 125g / 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 4 tbsp. golden linseeds or normal linseeds
- 4 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 3 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger powder (optional)
- TO PREPARE TWO BOWLS OF GRAINS & SEEDS PORRIDGE:
- 100g / 1/2 cup Grains & Seeds Porridge mix
- 225ml / 2 cups milk of your choice or mix of water and milk
- pinch of salt
- TO SERVE:
- 1 tbsp of natural whole-milk yoghurt
- 1 tbsp seeds of your choice, toasted
- handful of fresh blueberries or other berries
- maple syrup or honey to taste
To make Grains & Seeds Porridge to store, mix all ingredients in a big bowl and transfer to a big jar (about 500ml or bigger). Store in a kitchen cupboard, away from the direct sunlight, in a sealed container or jar.
For the two servings of porridge - put in the pan Grains & Seeds Porridge mix with milk/water (I used mix of almond milk and water) and add a pinch of salt. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Turn the heat down and let it stand for another 5 minutes.
Transfer to bowls. To serve add blueberries and yoghurt, drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle with some extra seeds (I've reserved some seeds while making the porridge mix).
Make it Vegan - use plant base milk of your choice and plant based yoghurt , and maple syrup instead of honey. Make it Gluten-free - Replace barley flakes and oats with gluten-free oats or other gluten free flakes.